Careers at The Knights Templar School aims to provide students with the knowledge, information and skills they require to make informed choices about suitable courses at school, college and university and about the opportunities available with regard to jobs in the future.
The Careers Education Team aims to enable students to receive accurate and impartial information, advice and guidance about all the options which are open to them and the routes to which those options lead. Mr D Raymen is KS3/4 Careers Coordinator and Ms E Thompson is KS5 Careers Coordinator.
To achieve these aims students undertake a variety of Careers and Work Related Learning activities throughout every year of their education at The Knights Templar School. Please see below for a brief summary of what students will learn and do as they progress through the school.
Statutory Careers Education starts at Year 8. However at The Knights Templar School:
Year 7 students learn about aspects of careers in Arts and Adventure Based Learning.
- Teamwork, leadership, communication & problem solving
- All year seven forms undertake a charity project in conjunction with 6th Form Students
- (STEM) Faraday Challenge Day for selected students
Year 8 students learn about aspects of careers in Personal, Social and Health Education.
- Self-awareness & communication and the world of work & money
- Work Shadowing Day & Review afternoon
- Vocational Morning (including 26 adults from a variety of backgrounds)
Year 9 students learn about aspects of careers in Personal, Social and Health Education.
- Using Kudos software to complete psychometric tests, researching jobs & interview skills
- Year nines receive bespoke options advice and interviews to enable them to make relevant GCSE choices
- (STEM) Engineering Day
Year 10 students receive formal Careers Education.
- CVs & Interview Skills
- One Week Work Experience placement
Year 11 students receive formal Careers Education.
- Post 16 preparation: applications & interview skills
- Year 11 students receive bespoke options advice and interviews to enable them to make relevant Post-16 choices
Students in Years 12 and 13 receive formal Careers Education.
- Options at 18 – Looking at available opportunities
- University Visits & HE Conferences
- Oxbridge Programme
- Is an Apprenticeship for me?
- UCAS Application Process
- Engaging Minds Visiting Speakers Programme
- Personal Statement Writing
- Enterprise Day
- Young Enterprise Programme
- Student Finance Information Evening
- Mock Interview Day
- Assembly focuses
Further information is available on Post-18 Support section of the Sixth Form website.
Our school's careers fair takes place on a bi-annual basis and hosts a variety of locally and nationally based employers and education and training providers.
You can view the exhibitors listing from our most recent event below:
KTS Careers Fair 2021 - Exhibitors List
Useful websites for students
|www.connexions-hertfordshire.co.uk||Local information about jobs and training|
|http://www.channelmogo.org/||Lots of Hertfordshire information in 1 place|
Has an excellent pages including:
|www.gov.uk/browse/education||Lots of government information relating to 14-19 opportunities and education|
|www.ucas.com||Main site for university & college applications|
|www.opendays.com||University & college open day directory|
|www.propsects.ac.uk||Official graduate careers website for UK|
Useful for Post-18 options